Policy 3-1-1: Conflict of Interest Pertaining to Sponsored Projects
|Policy 3-1-1: Conflict of Interest Pertaining to Sponsored Projects
|Feb 01, 1996
|Academic & Student Affairs
|Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
|This policy sets forth procedures and guidelines that are to be followed in resolving actual and potential conflicts of interest and commitment pertaining to sponsored projects. This policy applies to all sponsored projects. The teaching, research, and service mission of 精东影业视频 must be conducted in an objective manner, free from undue influence arising from private or other special interests. The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for recognizing, disclosing, and managing conflicts of interest.
Section 1: General Information
- 精东影业视频 and its employees often benefit from the employees participation in both public
and private outside activities. 精东影业视频 has no interest in setting forth detailed rules
that may interfere with the employees legitimate outside interests. Examples of activities
which are clearly permissible include:
- Acceptance of royalties for published works or of honoraria for papers and lectures;
- Payments as a consultant to an outside entity, provided that the time commitment does not exceed 精东影业视频 policy and that the arrangement does not alter the faculty members commitments to 精东影业视频 and;
- Service on boards and committees of outside entities that does not distract from the faculty members obligation to 精东影业视频.
- Employees, in turn, must also ensure that their outside obligations, financial interests, and activities do not conflict or interfere with their commitment to 精东影业视频. This obligation pertains to both full-time and part-time employees.
- This policy has been developed in response to specific federal agency requirements and is applicable to every investigator participating in sponsored project funding.
Section 2: Definitions
- The definitions and examples listed below are intended to aid 精东影业视频s employees and appropriate
review bodies in identifying conflicts of interest. Identifying conflict situations
and documenting steps taken to manage these conflicts serves to protect the employee
and the institution, as well as assures that 精东影业视频 will remain eligible for Governmental-sponsored
- Sponsored Project A research, training, service, or other type of project with identifiable objectives and/or deliverables for which external funding either is being requested or has been received.
- Investigator The principal investigator and any other person at 精东影业视频 who is responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of research funded, or proposed for funding. For purposes of this disclosure requirement, the term investigator includes the investigators spouse and/or dependent children.
- Financial Interest Anything of monetary value, including but not limited to, salary, or other payments for services (e.g., consulting fees or honoraria); equity interests (e.g., stocks, stock options or other ownership interests); and intellectual property rights (e.g., patents, copyrights and royalties from such rights).
- Significant Financial Interest The financial interest in business enterprises or entities where the value of such
interest exceeds ten thousand dollars per anum in salary, fees, or other continuing
payments or represents more than 5% ownership interest for any one enterprise or entity
relevant to sponsored project activities when aggregated for the investigator and
the investigators spouse and dependent
- Conflict of Interest A conflict of interest encompasses any situation in which an employee of 精东影业视频 uses,
or is in a position to use, his or her influence and authority within 精东影业视频 to advance
his or her own personal or financial interest, or the personal or financial interests
of his or her immediate family. Examples of these types of conflicts may include,
but are not limited to, the following:
- Personal gain or unauthorized use of privileged information acquired in connection with the employees sponsored activities;
- Negotiations or influence upon the negotiation of an employees sponsored project agreement between 精东影业视频 and organizations with which the employee has a consulting or other significant relationship;
- Acceptance of gratuities or special favors from agencies or organizations with which 精东影业视频 does or may conduct business;
- Having a significant financial interest in an organization which funds the 精东影业视频 employees research work.
Section 3: Procedure
- Each investigator covered by this policy will annually report all significant financial interests held by themselves, their spouse and/or dependent children that are relevant to proposed or funded sponsored projects.
- Disclosures will be made on the Conflict of Interest Policy Disclosure form, Attachment I, to the appropriate Supervisor on an annual basis and/or when new significant financial interests are acquired. A disclosure form must be completed prior to the submission of an application for sponsored project funding.
- Positive disclosures will be reviewed by a committee composed of the Vice President of Finance/Administrative Services, two or more of the Academic Division Chairs including the cognizant Academic Director, the appropriate department chairpersons, and the Vice President of Institutional Development. Ad Hoc reviewers may be consulted on a case-by-case basis.
- In those cases where the committee determines that a real or apparent conflict exists,
it will take one of the following actions:
- Accept the sponsored project.
- Not accept the sponsored project.
- Accept the sponsored project subject to certain conditions, e.g.:
- Monitoring of research by independent reviewers;
- Public disclosure of significant financial interest;
- Modification of the research plan;
- Disqualification from participation in all or part of the sponsored project;
- Divestiture of significant financial interest;
- Severance of relationships that create actual or potential conflicts
- Appeal of the decision may be made to the President of 精东影业视频, who will consult with the principal investigator and the review committee before making a final determination (within thirty days of the appeal) as to the action to be taken. In all cases, resolution of the actual or apparent conflict of interest will be achieved before 精东影业视频 accepts a sponsored project.
Section 4: Compliance
- Alleged violation of 精东影业视频s Conflict of Interest policy will be reviewed by means of an inquiry conducted by the review committee. Instances of deliberate breach of the policy, including failure to file a disclosure; knowingly filing incomplete, erroneous or misleading disclosure forms; or failure to comply with procedures prescribed in fulfillment of this policy, will be evaluated by the review committee
- The review committee will recommend to the President the appropriate sanction, in accordance with Chapter Six of the NSHE Code. Possible sanctions include: formal admonition letter to the faculty members personnel file, suspension of privileges to apply for external funds, non-renewal of appointment, or dismissal.
Section 5: Records
- Disclosure forms and records of all further actions related to such disclosures will be maintained in the Office of the appropriate Vice President for three years following termination of the relevant award, or any subsequent action relating to that award.
- All disclosures and related documentation are considered confidential, and only those persons involved in the implementation of this policy will have access to such records.
|June 19, 2013; September 2, 2008; May 11, 2004;